578 W Potrero Road - Description
Villa dei Fiore
Magnificent European Estate Property in exclusive Hidden Valley
The ultimate in privacy and European charm is offered in this world class property of twenty-four oak-studded acres located adjacent to the exclusive Sherwood Country Club. Handsome nineteenth century wrought iron entry gates open onto the main drive where white fenced pastures, meticulously manicured lawns and colorful planting beds immediately set a tone of understated sophistication and elegance.
The majestically sited 9000 sq. ft. Main Home is a grand red-tile roof Italianate villa that reflects elements of classic Italian design and striking contemporary architecture. The home is ringed by acres of verdant green lawns, shaded by towering, centuries old giant oaks. A peaceful and serene lake situated below the home captivates the eye and invites one further into the landscape. Baronial size wooden doors open onto the grand Entry Foyer; one is immediately captivated by the home’s incredible natural light where indoor and outdoor merge into one luminous setting. French doors extend across the colonnaded terrace and flood the home’s open floor plan with a play of light and shadow. Floors of exotic Terrazzo and natural woods enhance the home’s open and pure atmosphere.
The Main level hosts a stunning living room with views over the oak grove and lake; this is the ideal room for large scale entertaining. Inlaid floors and magnificent wooden columns give the room its strong architectural sense. This room extends across the Entry Hall and into the lovely open dining room which features a wood burning fireplace. While the size and volume of these rooms is grand, they also possess a wonderful sense of intimacy and charm. An oversized family/media room with a crème stone wood burning fireplace, terrazzo floors and burl wood walls is the perfect setting for a visit with family and friends - and its large outdoor terrace opens to panoramic views over the lawns and back gardens. The fabulous Boffi of Italy gourmet kitchen was designed for entertaining as well as ease of access. The floors are terrazzo and all cabinetry is beautifully crafted of wood and glass. The kitchen is perfectly suited for large scale receptions, and is equipped with two separate pantry areas. A modern Swedish fireplace framed by tall glass windows also enjoys vistas over the estate’s park like setting.
Three very private guest bedrooms are also located on this floor. The largest oversize bedroom enjoys spectacular views out to the lake and the beautifully manicured gardens. The bedroom is complemented by a large walk-in closet with extensive built-in cabinetry. A Zen inspired relaxation room with sauna and shower adjoins the bedroom suite. It also features two limestone and Jerusalem stone floored full baths. A second large bedroom with en-suite bath also has views to the serene lake and a pavilion set in a field of agapanthus. Located in the wing beyond the kitchen is a comfortably large third bedroom with en-suite bath; and an exceptionally large laundry room. Two guest powder rooms are also located on this floor, one on either end of the long gallery that runs the width of the home.
The second floor is comprised of the sprawling master suite that features spectacular, immense custom designed his/her walk in closets. In addition there are separate his/her bathrooms, a large “spoon” bathtub and an immense glass walled shower that overlooks the grounds. A delightful terrace is the perfect spot to relax and profit from the many vistas over the gardens and to listen to the peaceful calls of the many resident birds. A light filled, open and airy library/office with rich oak flooring is lined with bookshelves and is the ideal setting for privacy and study. The Library also looks north over the lake and can be accessed by its own dedicated staircase.
Across the outdoor stone terrace and up several steps is the spectacular high ceilinged, glass walled entertainment pavilion. With its grand scale fireplace and large potted specimen palms this room is very much in the style of the L’Orangerie at Versailles. This is the ultimate in indoor/outdoor living and entertainment areas. Its design, scale and charm make it ideal for either intimate family dinners or grand formal receptions. The industrial sized caterer’s kitchen has a large walk- in pantry, a spacious wine room, and an imported wood-burning pizza oven. Windows open onto a large buffet counter ideal for summer al-fresco dinners. The pavilion’s French doors open out onto a wide terrace that extends out into the lush back gardens. Located steps up from the pavilion, is a state of the art gym and beauty salon, plus two guest bathrooms to service this delightful party area.
Upon leaving the pavilion one is naturally drawn into the inviting landscape. The intent of the landscape design was to create a sense of discovery as one explores the extensive gardens. A short walk from the home and pavilion across the sweeping lawns is a charming iron gate that opens onto the graceful, oval shaped pool. Lovely vistas across the meadow to the oak grove focus the eye on a comfortable hammock where a favorite book can be enjoyed and the peacefulness of the garden savored.
Located beyond the pool is a secluded, sunken tennis court shaded by majestic oaks. The north-south court, artfully screened by climbing vines, is a magical setting for afternoon matches. A viewing stand carved into the hillside is the perfect spot to cheer on the winner.
Further up the hill is a dramatic hillside office with soaring ceilings. A small kitchen and second floor loft space complete this building. A large size caretaker’s cottage with living room, kitchen and two well appointed bedrooms is located just adjacent to the office.
The property is planted with fruit orchards, dedicated vegetable, kitchen and herb gardens as well as cutting-garden beds and a large greenhouse. The most spectacular landscape feature is without doubt the north facing Pinot Noir vineyard that produces a yearly vintage of over one thousand bottles. This sloping vineyard gives the property a distinct flavor of the wine producing regions of Burgundy.
The property continues to climb up the gently rising slope to a large outdoor aviary that is home to macaws, cockatoos and toucans. A shaded walk beside one of the many delightful waterfalls leads to an intimate white washed private chapel, reminiscent of monasteries in the Greek Isles, and invites a moment of reflection and spirituality.
Paths lined with eucalyptus railings continue on to red Japanese Torii gates that mark the entrance to the exotic bonsai garden, and further along are the long colonnaded wisteria covered arbors. One will never tire walking the sloping hillsides of the garden, over rustic bridges and past the eleven waterfalls that gently cascade over glistening natural rocks. The peaceful sound of water can be heard throughout the property.
Other out buildings include: stables, a wine room, the Manager’s office and other attendant offices and storage. Villa di Fiore is the perfect refuge for those seeking the ultimate in privacy, calm and gracious living, yet is conveniently located a mere thirty-five miles from the bustling heart of Los Angeles. Within this pristine park, dotted by sculpture and giant amphora, is a haven of architectural scale and refined elegance; a world of tranquility and beauty… where one is truly in tune with nature.
578 W Potrero Road - Amenities
- Curved cut mahogany entry double doors
- Off white Terrazzo floors
- Inlaid white golden brown oak floor – ceiling 24 ft. high
- Fig wood library shelves with TV area
- Office area leads to balcony overlooking lake
- White classic stone fireplace
- Large Italian Murano crystal and iron chandelier
- 4 sets of French doors
- Oakwood inset floor into white Terrazzo
- Italian kitchen by famous designer Boffi
- 2 pantries
- Large island with deep sink – also another double sink
- Trash compactor – dish washing machine – Viking refrigerator – large professional Viking stove/oven
- Eating area overlooks large garden
- Situated on second floor
- Tall fig wood doors greet you to a large oversized master bedroom
- Hand carved fireplace – glass and wood (woven) shower – (spoon) bathtub
-His and hers water rooms – His and hers large closets – His and hers sink and cabinets – Carrara marble columns
- Master has large veranda and open view of garden and pavilion
- Extra large bedroom suite with view of the lake and 2 large glass water rooms – large walk in closet with light oak wood cabinets – very large glass shower with mosaic glass tiles – private terrace
- 2 other bedrooms with glass showers – modern sink and counters – one with view of the lake and other with view of the pavilion
Den or Large Family Room:
- Stone travertine fireplace – white Terrazzo floors
- 3 sets of French doors leading to outdoor loggia
- 18 ft. ceiling – step down from main floor – golden burl wood walls
- Complete second kitchen – Viking stove – Barbeque unit – Italian imported pizza oven – chopping block with wood marble and stainless steel surfaces
- 6 sets of doors open to a huge terrace with palm trees
- Large stone fireplace
- Built-in pantry with refrigerator freezer
- Aluminum shelving for wine racks – accessories
- Complete gym with beauty salon area and 2 outdoor bathrooms
- 6 sets of doors open to a huge terrace with palm trees
- Beautifully designed by professional landscaper with pergolas and hundreds of rose varieties
Japanese Bonsai Garden:
- Serene Atmosphere under oaks and gentle water sounds – very relaxing
- Carved out of the mountains – resembles a monastery in Greece Overlooks a huge canyon waterfall (one of 6)
- 3 bedrooms – 2 baths – full kitchen – large living room
- Very large area 2 floors with waterfall – bathroom/shower
- Vineyards (Pinot Noir) orchards – organic planters for vegetable green house – stables – 3 very large aviaries